NewSpace' High Altitude Pseudo-Satellite (HAPS UAS) Achieves Indian Drone Endurance Record with 24+ Hour Flight

NewSpace' High Altitude Pseudo-Satellite (HAPS UAS) Achieves Indian Drone Endurance Record with 24+ Hour Flight

A remarkable milestone in Indian aviation has been achieved by NewSpace Research and Technologies (NRT), a Bengaluru-based aerospace firm.

Their sub-scale High Altitude Pseudo-Satellite (HAPS UAS) development prototype has shattered the national endurance record, completing a test flight of over 24 hours at ATR Chitradurga.

This extraordinary feat marks the longest flight duration ever for an unmanned aerial system (UAS) designed, developed, and manufactured entirely within India.

The success of NRT highlights the strength of the "Make in India" initiative, which champions domestic manufacturing capabilities. Their breakthrough strengthens India's position in aerospace innovation and promotes the growth of the private sector within the nation's defense ecosystem.

"We are thrilled with this record-breaking achievement," expressed a spokesperson for NRT. "Our thanks go out to the invaluable support received from iDEX Defence Innovation Organization, Indian Air Force, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), Aeronautical Development Agency (ADE), DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organisation), and the Ministry of Defence, Government of India."

NRT's ambition doesn't stop here. They plan to push the boundaries further with a multi-day flight endurance demonstration in the near future, solidifying India's place as a leader in HAPS UAS technology.

This accomplishment carries exciting potential for diverse applications across numerous sectors, accelerating India's growth and technological progress.

Key Points​

• Unmatched Endurance: NRT's HAPS UAS surpassed previous national records with its 24+ hour flight.
  • Make in India Success: This achievement embodies the spirit of India's focus on domestic manufacturing.
  • Collaborative Effort: Support from crucial organizations was instrumental in this breakthrough.
  • Future Ambitions: Multi-day flights are in NRT's sights, further advancing HAPS technology in India.
  • Widespread Impact: Potential applications across various industries promise positive growth for India.

In coming years we will see other UAVs of CATS like ghatak come online as well. The republic day air show is going to be lit

This IDEX challenge is a masterstroke for promoting private sector defence industry. Whoever thought of this in MoD needs a medal.

With HAPS in the bag India can persistence presence over large area of interest. Need to develop airborne and ground precision weapons for target strikes. HAPS will provide precise coordinates and stay above the strike range of missiles. Great asset for likely action over Aksai Chin.

If only private sector would have been involved in the Indian aviation sector as well larger Indian economy,it would have done wonders for the country.

Ghatak is under DRDO.
Pls understand the meaning of CATS..... irrespective of whether RPSA is under the system or not it must have the ability to of combat air teaming which is not quite complicated once the system is completed.

CATS system is by HAL plus NSR. So Ghatak won’t be a part of CATS. At least as of now there are no plans whatsoever to integrate them.
Ghatak was under the ADA, which played role in Tejas, and is developing TEDBF, AMCA. It was recently shifted to ADE (DRDO lab). Since it is a UCAV, to be used by IAF, I believe that they would integrate it to those aircraft like the CATS UAVs. I dont see any reason why they would not do so. AMCA with a few ghataks to conduct a deep strike behind enemy lines makes good sense to me. Ghataks being controlled by AMCA would be better than being controlled by a ground station far away.

This is good news but the HAPS needs to fly above 30000ft so it can operate without weather issues. They need to develop more of these so it can be used for long term surveillance that drones can't do as it will operate with solar energy and not fuel. India needs to manufacture and use more of these as they can carry other equipment and be used with great effect.

Ghatak was under the ADA, which played role in Tejas, and is developing TEDBF, AMCA. It was recently shifted to ADE (DRDO lab). Since it is a UCAV, to be used by IAF, I believe that they would integrate it to those aircraft like the CATS UAVs. I dont see any reason why they would not do so. AMCA with a few ghataks to conduct a deep strike behind enemy lines makes good sense to me. Ghataks being controlled by AMCA would be better than being controlled by a ground station far away.
Your belief doesn’t matter. CATS in Indian context is the name of a specific line of products. It is being developed by HAL and NSR. Ghatak has nothing to do with it. Ghatak can be controlled by AMCA or LCA or anything else. But that’s not a part of CATS.

Pls understand the meaning of CATS..... irrespective of whether RPSA is under the system or not it must have the ability to of combat air teaming which is not quite complicated once the system is completed.
Please understand what CATS really is in the Indian context. It is one specific program. It has nothing to do with Ghatak.

Your belief doesn’t matter. CATS in Indian context is the name of a specific line of products. It is being developed by HAL and NSR. Ghatak has nothing to do with it. Ghatak can be controlled by AMCA or LCA or anything else. But that’s not a part of CATS.
Ghatak may not be officially under CATS, but it fits in it very well. Whether it is in it or not is just a matter of a penstroke. Tomorrow IAF can say that they are including ghatak in CATS, and it will change nothing after all, it is going to be integrated with advanced IAF fighters anyway.

Ghatak may not be officially under CATS, but it fits in it very well. Whether it is in it or not is just a matter of a penstroke. Tomorrow IAF can say that they are including ghatak in CATS, and it will change nothing after all, it is going to be integrated with advanced IAF fighters anyway.
Tomorrow IAF can also say that they don’t want to buy Ghatak at all. So don’t talk about pen strokes. Talk about reality. Show me where has it been said that Ghatak has anything to do with CATS.

Tomorrow IAF can also say that they don’t want to buy Ghatak at all. So don’t talk about pen strokes. Talk about reality. Show me where has it been said that Ghatak has anything to do with CATS.
Logic says that that ghatak will be included in it at later stage. Since it is a Drone, has ground attack capability, is based on Indian technology etc, all of this is common with CATS program.

I can tell you to show me where it has been said that ghatak will never be part of CATS?

I have already told you that Indian defence sector is not trnasparent at all. We have to make do with very limited information. There is no reason why ghatak should not be teamed with a manned aircraft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pr K Singh
Back