The Unspoken Tale of Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman and 2019 Indo-Pak Air Skirmish

GC_Abhinandan_0_1200x768_1200x768.jpeg

Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman, the Indian Air Force pilot who became a national hero in 2019 after shooting down a Pakistani F-16 fighter jet, continues to be shrouded in a veil of silence regarding the details of his daring mission.

Abhinandan's story is one of valor and resilience. Following the downing of his MiG-21, he was captured in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK). His swift return to India was hailed as a diplomatic victory, and he was awarded the Vir Chakra for his exceptional bravery.

However, since his return, there has been a conspicuous absence of public statements from Abhinandan about the events of that day. While he has resumed his duties as a fighter pilot and has been promoted to Group Captain, he has not been permitted to speak openly to the media. This stands in contrast to Squadron Leader Minty Aggarwal, the woman fighter controller who played a crucial role in the operation and has been able to share her experiences publicly.

The public's curiosity remains piqued, as they yearn to hear Abhinandan's firsthand account of the aerial engagement, his capture, and his subsequent return. His silence has led to speculation and a lack of complete understanding of the entire mission.

Several reasons could be attributed to the restrictions on Abhinandan's media interactions. These could include operational security concerns, the sensitive nature of the situation, or even personal preference. It is also possible that the government or the military have deemed it prudent to maintain a degree of discretion on this matter.

Whatever the reasons may be, Abhinandan's silence has not diminished his status as a national hero. His actions on that fateful day in 2019 are a testament to his courage, skill, and unwavering dedication to duty. It remains to be seen whether he will ever choose to share his story with the public. Until then, his legacy as a symbol of bravery and patriotism will endure.

How many countries said anything beyond India, Pak and US? Pak claimed it shot down a Su30MKI. India paraded the said plane with the same tail number. Pak on the other hand said that the plane was lost a month later in an accident.

Oh and by the way, Russia did say that India shot down the plane. So that's 2 vs 2.
lol, how did russia find out? I mentioned america because america had supplied F16 to Pakis and would know if one was destroyed. Also, they have largest spy and intel collection network in the world and longstanding connection with pakis military establishment.

lol, how did russia find out? I mentioned america because america had supplied F16 to Pakis and would know if one was destroyed. Also, they have largest spy and intel collection network in the world and longstanding connection with pakis military establishment.
And why would America acknowledge it? Russia has a reason to acknowledge, US doesn't. India does, Pak doesn't. And if that is the criteria, then how would anyone, other than Pak and US would find out? And neither of those would acknowledge. So the whole discussion becomes moot, doesn't it?

hahahha. he was released under Geneva Agreement
Sir, not so.. as Geneva Convention is applicable to those signatory countries who are at War & all the hostilities are ceased & under the peace terms, POWs on both sides are exchanged. There was no war or any war conditions between Pakistan & India.. and as such Abhinandan was not a POW. He was honorably released by Pak PM Imran Khan & handed over to us at Wagah Border.

hahahha. he was released under Geneva Agreement
No as per Geneva convention, Pakistan has the right to subject POW under trial as per Pakistani rules. They are obligated to release only after the conflict is over, not during an active conflict. In this case, the triservices chief threatened Pakistan with war, which means it is active conflict. So Pakistan chickened out and released.

Google search for "geneva convention laws for captured soldiers" and click the first link. Its clearly explained under Arts 82,84,109,110,118

Dude, i never said that. You are putting words in my mouth. I just said that I dont believe anything related to military accomplishment or debacle unless I see facts and evidence.

The incentive to lie and make up stuff is too great when it comes to these things. And both sides lie and trie to hide stuff.
And I have explained to u, the extent it is possible to explain including what our nieghbour gave press conference on. What more can be done.

Abhinandan made IAF extremely proud when he shot down advanced 4 th generation F-16 from 50 years old 2nd generation Mig-21. FYI ,in 2019 , PLAAF had about 600 fighters of 2nd generation like J-6 ,J-7 out of about 1400 total fighters in their inventory . You can't compare with airforces of US or European countries .

Pakistani F-16 is 48 years old.

No one outside india believes that he shot down F16. Pakistan also claims that it shot down our Su30MKI. Believe what is clearly visible. What is a fact is that in the engagement, We lost 1 mig21, and our pilot got captured. Rest is just claims and counter claims. You believe whatever you want to believe.
Pakistani manufacture lies. They have a mastery of it even if they lost 1965, 1971 and 1999 war.

It is true. After Mig 21 shot down an F16, USA was not able to sell even a single new F16 to any other country. Even those countries who have F16 are discarding them at junk price.
Most F-16 users are upgrading their F-16s ti Block 52/60/70 standards, Romania bought 32 in 2019 and are planning to by 32 more, Taiwan bought 66 in 2019.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shailesh Ghanshyam Chaudhari
Back