ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems' Stealth Submarine Design Clears Key Hurdle for Indian Navy's P-75I Program

t2112cs.jpg

ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems (TKMS) has successfully completed a critical design review (CDR) for its innovative submarine concept, featuring advanced "Stealth Shaping" technology, initially presented for the Indian Navy's prestigious P-75I program.

The design, drawing inspiration from the cutting-edge Type-212CD submarines under development for Germany and Norway, highlights its maturity and potential to fulfill the Indian Navy's demanding requirements.

The CDR involved a rigorous examination of over 100,000 pages of documentation, ensuring the design's adherence to approximately 6,000 contractual obligations, as confirmed by the German Ministry of Defence.

The Type 212CD, while not yet officially designated by TKMS for its Indian variant, represents a substantial evolution from its predecessor, the Type 212A, incorporating its core principles.

A cornerstone of the Type-212CD design lies in its superior stealth capabilities compared to conventional submarines with rounded hulls. The incorporation of angled hulls significantly minimizes the reflection of sound waves, resulting in a remarkably low acoustic signature. This tactical advantage enables the submarine to operate discreetly in contested waters, enhancing its operational effectiveness.

TKMS aims to equip the Indian Navy with a formidable submarine capable of executing missions within a challenging maritime landscape. The successful completion of the CDR marks a pivotal step in the development of this advanced submarine concept, bringing it closer to fruition.

The Indian Navy's P-75I program seeks to acquire six advanced diesel-electric submarines with air-independent propulsion (AIP) technology. The program aims to bolster the Navy's underwater capabilities and maintain a strategic edge in the region.

VLS cells are highly unlikely. I have a feeling that will have to wait for Project 76 only.
VLS cells are necessary to fire Brahmos SLCM. It most definitely would be a highly souped up Invincible-class/Darkar class hybrid. Thats also partially the reason Indian Navy is scouting for a SSK submarine with a displacement of over 3000 tonnes.

VLS cells are necessary to fire Brahmos SLCM. It most definitely would be a highly souped up Invincible-class/Darkar class hybrid. Thats also partially the reason Indian Navy is scouting for a SSK submarine with a displacement of over 3000 tonnes.
Highly unlikely, Sir. The hull forms of the Type 218SG and the Dakar-class are somewhat different. Slotting in an entire VLS module would mean massive changes to the hull, and it would essentially be a new design at that point rather than a Type 214 derivative.

See, I would be very happy if TKMS' offering does have a VLS module, but I do not see any way that would happen. It simply isn't feasible given that it has been reported that the design being offered is not the Dakar-class design or variant thereof.

What about missile firing capability either via torpedo tubes or the top part like the dakar class?
Sir, even the Dakar-class may essentially have the VLS module integrated into the sail, somewhat similar to the submarine INS Drakon. Even that would require massive changes to the hullform and hydrodynamic calculations.

SLCMs from torpedo tubes are another thing entirely, and I would be surprised if we do not have that feature going.

Germany can hold us hostages because Germany has previously held us hostages with excuses. Why can't we make in India? We just built & released Nuclear submarine?
India don't have the technology yet to build such a submarine. Naval nuclear reactor the Germans built more than 60 (!) years ago... I wish you success in this work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dr
Back