Tejas Mk1A Flies, But IAF's Last-Minute Modification Request Could Delay Delivery by 4 Months

Tejas Mk1A Flies, But IAF's Last-Minute Modification Request Could Delay Delivery by 4 Months

The Tejas Mk1A program celebrated a major milestone with the successful maiden flight of the first aircraft (LA5033) from Hindustan Aeronautics Limited's (HAL) Bengaluru facility. However, a report published in "The Print" indicates potential delays in the aircraft's delivery to the Indian Air Force (IAF).

According to the report, the initial delivery of LA5033 to the IAF may be delayed by up to four months. This delay is attributed to last-minute changes requested by the IAF, including software upgrades and minor structural modifications.

While HAL has not yet officially confirmed these details, sources indicate that LA5033 does feature various visible and subtle alterations. These modifications could require additional test flights beyond the typical 4-5 pre-induction trials performed before handing over a new aircraft to the IAF.

The IAF's requested changes demand careful validation through further testing to ensure the Tejas Mk1A's operational readiness. The potential delay in deliveries may be a result of this necessary testing process.

Despite the possible delay, the first flight of the Tejas Mk1A remains a significant achievement for the program. The additional testing, if confirmed, underscores a commitment to ensuring the aircraft's optimal performance and safety standards for IAF pilots.

In the coming weeks, HAL is likely to provide a more definitive timeline for deliveries of the Tejas Mk1A to the IAF.

Thats what i Highlighted IAFs Never Ending Demands , so If IAF is happy with Changes it may also know it going to b inducted Late. so Last moments IAF saw an opportunity instead of upgrading after some Time it is better to upgrade in the start even if there is Delay.

Whatever I see tejas mk1a HUD I feel measurable and disappointment ... It's like they put buggati car technology to ambassador car... No futuristic design and they want to sell this fighter jet foreigner countries...

Whatever I see tejas mk1a HUD I feel measurable and disappointment ... It's like they put buggati car technology to ambassador car... No futuristic design and they want to sell this fighter jet foreigner countries...
What do you mean by futuristic design? Mk1a has great specs for a jet of its class. Who cares how 'futuristic' the design looks?

Well, few months delay was expected in delivery after first flight got delayed by few months. It is not blame of production, but rather certification and testing. Since, production of trainers is progressimg very well. 5 trainers have been delivered in last 6 months, HAL is on track to deliver all trainers by 2025-26 as promised. This is a tremendous achievement and fills me with hope.

Trust IAF to put spanner in every effort of indian companies to go indigenous.

Unique airforce

Well, few months delay was expected in delivery after first flight got delayed by few months. It is not blame of production, but rather certification and testing. Since, production of trainers is progressimg very well. 5 trainers have been delivered in last 6 months, HAL is on track to deliver all trainers by 2025-26 as promised. This is a tremendous achievement and fills me with hope.
Yes agree with u HAL is on Track,

Thats what i Highlighted IAFs Never Ending Demands , so If IAF is happy with Changes it may also know it going to b inducted Late. so Last moments IAF saw an opportunity instead of upgrading after some Time it is better to upgrade in the start even if there is Delay.
That's the highlight of IAF, they will play all kind of games, never ending demands and complaining about HAL.

So HAL didn’t know about these certifications when signing the deal?

As for trainers, nit at all. They were supposed to deliver 8 trainers and 3 mk1a by 3 Feb. 2 months down, they have not completed even 50% of the order. HAL is shameless as usual. This is something that makes us hang our heads in shame as an Indian.

Trust IAF to put spanner in every effort of indian companies to go indigenous.

Unique airforce
Lies. That’s why no official source has been stated. Fact is that HAL f**ked up and is now spreading lies to save its a**

Forget mk1a. They were supposed to deliver 8 trainers by 3 Feb 2023. Where are they? What spammer did IAF throw in that plan?

That's the highlight of IAF, they will play all kind of games, never ending demands and complaining about HAL.
IAF never made those demands. That’s why no official source has been suggested. Fact is that HAL f**ked up. Forget mk1a. 8 trainers were to be delivered before mk1a. Where are they? This itself shows that the delay is not due to IAF but HAL.

While I find this lone of thought as bollocks. But, even if for a moment, I were to agree with you, that it was IAF asking for the changes at the last moment.

Shouldn't HAL, as a responsible integrator, whose reputation would be at stake in case of delays, would ask IAF to lick their balls and stick to the contract?

HAL can suggest that changes be incorporated after delivery in phased manner.

But HAL won't, as this presents them another golden excuse to cover their lackadaisical work ethics as prime cause for delay.

So HAL didn’t know about these certifications when signing the deal?

As for trainers, nit at all. They were supposed to deliver 8 trainers and 3 mk1a by 3 Feb. 2 months down, they have not completed even 50% of the order. HAL is shameless as usual. This is something that makes us hang our heads in shame as an Indian.
Dude, the changes were requested by IAF after deal was signed. And global supply chain disruptions like Covid and Russia ukrainme war also happened after the deal was signed. HAL is not 'antaryaami' that it can predict global pandemics and conflicts and demands from IAF.

Dude, the changes were requested by IAF after deal was signed. And global supply chain disruptions like Covid and Russia ukrainme war also happened after the deal was signed. HAL is not 'antaryaami' that it can predict global pandemics and conflicts and demands from IAF.
36 Rafales were delivered through the peak of Covid, without delay.

Serum India delivered most of their domestic as well as international orders during the peak of Covid and supply chain disruption.

Yahan HAL ka Covid khatam hi nahin ho raha.

HAL may not be "Antaryaami", but they surely are playing role of "Kumbhakaran" well.

As per unnamed sources. Usual DPSU MO.

But just for the sake of this conversation, let’s accept your argument. Tell me, if IAF had not asked for these changes, still HAL had only delivered 4 (or less) trainers by the deadline. That means even without any changes, HAL would have missed the deadline by a long margin. And that is assuming only 8 are to be delivered, which is not make any sense anyways (HAL chief himself had said that we will deliver all 18, I just don’t have that video now). You will see now also that HAL will make all 18 trainers first as closing the line and starting it again is just idiotic, even by HAL standards.

So no. IAF isn’t the cause. HAL is.

Thats our IAF for delays...Seems as if IAF is ready to sacrifice its dwindling number of aircraft very readily...
On interviews IAF is very concerned about the dwindling Aircraft numbers in its arsenal yet IAF wants all modifications on the first go, no matter how much delayed the Aircraft induction happens..

As per unnamed sources. Usual DPSU MO.

But just for the sake of this conversation, let’s accept your argument. Tell me, if IAF had not asked for these changes, still HAL had only delivered 4 (or less) trainers by the deadline. That means even without any changes, HAL would have missed the deadline by a long margin. And that is assuming only 8 are to be delivered, which is not make any sense anyways (HAL chief himself had said that we will deliver all 18, I just don’t have that video now). You will see now also that HAL will make all 18 trainers first as closing the line and starting it again is just idiotic, even by HAL standards.

So no. IAF isn’t the cause. HAL is.
no point in arguing with you.

36 Rafales were delivered through the peak of Covid, without delay.

Serum India delivered most of their domestic as well as international orders during the peak of Covid and supply chain disruption.

Yahan HAL ka Covid khatam hi nahin ho raha.

HAL may not be "Antaryaami", but they surely are playing role of "Kumbhakaran" well.
the french are crazy people when it comes to defence manufacturing. They insist on producing everything domestically. No one, not even america insists on comeplete domestic supply chain. For eg, the engines on C130J are made by british rolls royce.

Disadvantage of having complete domestic supply chain is that it increases cost by a lot, as huge amount of R&D is required. This is why rafale is most expensive 4/4.5 generation jet by a large margin.

Advantage is that you are resilient to supply chain disruptions. India relies on many foreign suppliers and global supply chain.

And dont compare defence manufacturing to Vaccine supply chain. Vaccine was number 1 priority at the time, so Huge effort was made so its production was not disrupted. And I dont know if you remember, there was a significant controversy when USA had restricted the export of API (vaccine raw material) at peak of covid to ensure they had enough for domestic vaccine manufacturing. India had even raised this issue at international forums. India's production of vaccines did take a hit, until USA relaxed export restrictions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utpal Bhadra
Back