Why India's Project-75I Submarines Should Have Vertical Launch System Integration

Why India's Project-75I Submarines Should Have Vertical Launch System Integration

India's decision for its next-generation submarines under Project-75I has sparked a debate regarding the integration of Vertical Launch Systems (VLS) for sub-sonic cruise missiles.

The core of the debate centers around the strategic advantages offered by VLS, such as maintaining stealth by launching missiles from underwater and enhancing offensive capabilities by allowing for rapid, multi-angle launches.

VLS vs. Traditional Launchers: A Tactical Divide​

Traditional missile tubes necessitate submarines to surface for launch, jeopardizing their covertness. In contrast, VLS allows for submerged launches, maintaining the element of surprise.

Moreover, VLS enables the rapid firing of multiple missiles, potentially overwhelming enemy defenses or saturating targets. The wider range of launch angles afforded by VLS provides tactical flexibility, enabling attacks from varied positions and overcoming land obstacles.

The Case for Integrating Domestic Missiles​

India's existing BrahMos supersonic cruise missile and the under-development Nirbhay sub-sonic cruise missile could potentially have been integrated into the Project-75I submarines via VLS. This would not only leverage India's indigenous missile technology but also reduce reliance on foreign suppliers, potentially minimizing costs.

Furthermore, VLS offers the adaptability to incorporate future advancements in missile technology, including the integration of newer, potentially hypersonic, cruise missiles.

Project-75I Contenders and VLS Omission​

However, the contenders for Project-75I, Thyssenkrupp Marine Systems' (TKMS) U212 and Navantia's S-80 Plus, did not offer VLS integration for cruise missiles, unlike the KSS-III Batch 3 submarine developed by South Korea.

This has led to speculation that the Indian Navy might have prioritized features such as Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) and Air-Independent Propulsion (AIP) over VLS integration.

This could potentially strengthen the case for future acquisition of nuclear-powered attack submarines, which could be equipped with VLS capabilities.

Balancing Priorities and Future Implications​

While the Indian Navy's decision has its justifications, the potential benefits of VLS with sub-sonic missiles like BrahMos or Nirbhay are substantial.

As India continues to advance its VLS technology and domestic missile development, these factors could significantly influence choices in upcoming submarine projects.

CO design , co produce a new generation SSk with AIP and vertical Launch system with German , Spanish Russian or Japanese submarine shipyard or even a German American team or German Japanese design team or German koreon team to build a 3600-4500 tons ocean going sub for the chinese threat.

Having a VLS system is wonderful in P-75I but when the preparations started it was not that important in those days.
Germans will ask for more money and more time frame to do it and test it so FORGET ABOUT IT.

Get the best German 212 or close to it and start building it in India by outsourcing the MSME parts in India from the beginning.
Germans promised 60% TOT by 6th submarine.
Perhaps they will give 100% TOT if India awards a follow-on contract of 6 for a total of 12 submarines.

Do not mess up like Rafale India specific contract.

VLS cells, eh? That only leaves the KSS-III design, and considering the issues we have had with South Korea, there is a very real chance the whole thing would've been scuppered.

Indian-Govt & Navy should've considered to cancel Project P-75I to invest in:-
(1) Additional 3 to 6 Kalvari-SSKs with DRDO's AIP system
(2) Project P-76 to design & develop 12 to 18 Indigenous SSKs with a Displacement of 3k to 4k tonnes, AIP System & VLS.

Having a VLS system is wonderful in P-75I but when the preparations started it was not that important in those days.
Germans will ask for more money and more time frame to do it and test it so FORGET ABOUT IT.

Get the best German 212 or close to it and start building it in India by outsourcing the MSME parts in India from the beginning.
Germans promised 60% TOT by 6th submarine.
Perhaps they will give 100% TOT if India awards a follow-on contract of 6 for a total of 12 submarines.

Do not mess up like Rafale India specific contract.
Spain has promised 60% indegenious content from 1st submarine itself.

Dont know how useful VLS would be on small Subs like the ones envisioned in the Project 75I.
Maybe they don't need VLS as per the current naval battle plan.

VLS missiles might have been a great addition but considering that only koreans offered one ,our experience with them and the fact that these aren't large subs I guess it's ok for the time being.
Though it would be great if we could get 100% indigenous content by the end of deal and TOT on the critical technology we aspire for.

Indian-Govt & Navy should've considered to cancel Project P-75I to invest in:-
(1) Additional 3 to 6 Kalvari-SSKs with DRDO's AIP system
(2) Project P-76 to design & develop 12 to 18 Indigenous SSKs with a Displacement of 3k to 4k tonnes, AIP System & VLS.
A bird in hand is worth two in the bush!

VLS cells, eh? That only leaves the KSS-III design, and considering the issues we have had with South Korea, there is a very real chance the whole thing would've been scuppered.
Dakar Class is coming with VLS by the Germans??? Will P-76s come with VLS???

Dakar Class is coming with VLS by the Germans??? Will P-76s come with VLS???
Sir, back when P-75I was launched, the Dakar-class was still in the very early stages of design, and was never offered.

As for P-76 having VLS cells, no idea. However, one does sincerely hope that the cells are there.

Spain has promised 60% indegenious content from 1st submarine itself.
The problem with the Spanish offering is that they have a bunch of American tech as well, which makes indigenisation complicated.

That said, even Germany has its problems in terms of their confused stance on a lot of things, so there isn't exactly a right answer here.

The problem was that only South Korea have developed a VLS submarine and the western countries have not. Asking them to install one would have cost more and taken a longer time to develop. Now they simply use a torpedo launched missile which India are also developing as whenever they make a deal that submarine will be with us for about 40 years. This should be the last foreign submarine we ever make as we need to increase our submarine strength and numbers.

The Chinese supplied subs to Pakis have vls capacity!
Nope , Torpedo tubes of standard size 21 inch diameter and 6 meter length will be used to launch cruise Missiles ( with a fake claims of ability to launch nuclear warhead equipped missiles).

No country in this world can launch long range cruise missiles using Torpedo tubes except for small anti ship missiles like exocet or harpoon (under 300km range with small warhead). Long range cruise missiles launched by US or Russia is only done by VLS. So basically without VLS we are totally dependent on SSBN for land attack even using conventional warhead.

The VLS tech of Indian Navy is so primitive. Look at the latest destroyer of ours. It looks like jugarh engineering. So much big ship so little VLS and there is no proper utilisation of space. Even new Russian ships with lesser displacement got a well organised VLS layout which has bhramos firing capability. And those hideous toad eye rbu rocket launcher single handedly ripping the sealth characteristics of our ships. Can't they redesign the launcher properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarohi45
Back