Opinion Can MRFA Program Rescue India's Fighter Jet Fleet from the Brink?

Multi-role-Fighter-Aircraft.jpg

The Indian Air Force (IAF) is facing a critical juncture as it grapples with the pressing need to modernize its aging fighter jet fleet. While ambitious indigenous programs like the TEDBF and AMCA hold promise, the immediate reality demands urgent action.

The Multi-Role Fighter Aircraft (MRFA) tender, aimed at acquiring 114 new jets, has become a symbol of this urgency, yet it has languished in bureaucratic delays for over a decade.

As Prime Minister Modi embarks on his third term, experts stress that the time for decisive action is now. This is not merely about buying new jets; it's about safeguarding India's skies and ensuring national security.

Streamlining the procurement process, prioritizing domestic manufacturing under "Make in India," and ensuring cost-efficiency and lifecycle support are key to resolving this issue. Additionally, the chosen jets must seamlessly integrate with existing IAF systems and be adaptable to future upgrades.

While indigenous programs like the TEDBF and AMCA represent India's long-term aspirations, the MRFA program serves as a critical bridge to maintain the IAF's operational readiness. Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), already engaged in multiple projects, cannot immediately meet the demand for new jets. The MRFA tender, with its focus on domestic manufacturing through private sector or Indian subsidiaries of foreign OEMs, offers a viable solution.

The government's focus on clearing the Acceptance of Necessity (AoN) for the MRFA program and allocating sufficient budgetary resources is crucial. Exploring alternative funding mechanisms like deferred payment plans or defense bonds can further mitigate financial constraints.

With geopolitical tensions on the rise, a robust and modern fighter fleet is not a luxury but a strategic necessity for India. The MRFA program, with its emphasis on swift procurement, domestic manufacturing, cost-efficiency, and technological integration, is the most practical way to address this urgent need.

By taking decisive action now, the government can not only bolster the IAF's capabilities but also lay the groundwork for a thriving domestic aerospace industry. The stakes are high, but the opportunity for transformation is equally significant.

We can manufacture 4.5 gen planes on our own? Since when?
Since LCA Tejas.

Bro, can manufacture and will manufacture are two things. Any decent corporation worth its salt will not make the production of 4.5 jet aircraft in India as painful and slow as HAL makes it to be.

Like any sarkaari firm, ben-ke-lodey employees of HAL kaam hi nahin karna chahte, Mehnat karne ke naam sei sei haraamkhoron ko maut aa jaati hai, which is the reason why it seems like a big deal for HAL to manufacture Tejas Mk1A and Mk2. After privatization with their job on the line, the same.jokers will be rolling out Tejas Mk5 khata-khat khata-khat khata-khat fata-fat!!!

P.s. - I did not downvote your comment. Some jhaant-ka-baal is trying to make a career out of downvoting every comment on this forum with multiple alias accounts.

Talk sense for once. No big deal to increase production... what are jokers waiting for ? Muhurat ?
remember HAL only makes 60% of Tejas, remaining 40% comes from outside, they don’t have any control over delays in procurement of those component’s, due to Covid and the aftermath supply chains all over the world got stagnated, things are slowly easing up but not to the same level as pre COVID, so they are not to be blamed entirely for the delays, I heard that in US and other Western Countries, you have to be on a waiting list for 4-5 months to buy a car currently and this was-never a case before ever, this explains that we still have major supply chain problem all over the world.

Fast track MRFA; G2g deal with France for 114 Rafale by Dassault with same terms and conditions as per tender.

If Dassault want to win this tender and still wants to Make in India with 100% ownership, it will need to pony up the cost of building the assembly line etc. I don't think MoD will agree to their price gouging modus operandi here. Let Indian partner shell out the price of the assembly line because this surely will not fly.

That’s totally fine, we are good till the time of retiring MIG-29 and Mirage, all we need is 36 new fighter jets in case of skirmishes on both sides, that we have already ,there are absolutely no possiblities of a full fledged war, 30 squadrons is more than enough, especially with 36 Rafale’s, 50+ upgraded MIG’s and 50+ upgraded Mirages, after we are done upgrading SU-30’s to Super we will be powerful enough, we are no way in a hurry whatsoever, all we need to do rightnow is speedup super SU-30 upgrade and start slowly inducting Tejas MK1A 8-12/year and jump to MK2, IAF is not going to retire MIG-29’s and Mirages until at-least till 2050.
Not as per IAF.

No need to purchase any further aircraft.
Put all money into Tejas mark 2 ,AMCA and tedbf, ORCA.

This will galvanize our economy.increase Tejas 1a to 24 aircrafts and upgrade Sukhoi,mirage and mig 29 to the latest standard to manage interim.
Remember our adversary is china,where numbers will matter not cutting edge fighters.
One rafale at best will be good enough to tackle two J20,but then to tackle 200 we will require 100 .at best a repeat order can be given with tot for the engine

Not as per IAF.
Yes IAF originally wanted Typhoon especially for the EJ 200 engine and even wanted that engine in Tejas, but Rafale was forced on them, now they are very unhappy and doesn’t want to buy them any more even after M0di forced them, they are not budging, they don’t even want to execute follow on class for the same price, this is the main reason why MRFA is dragging for years.

HAL makes only 5 planes annually. Mk2 hasn’t even been rolled out despite 1000s of crores being wasted. So that’s not the fix.
Well total budget of the program is 9000 crores only and most of that is available after 2022 so I don't know how people can say wasted...

Well about MRFA I agree with Anant it is necessary for the IAF.
It just mine personal opinion is that we can procure 140-150(26/36 rafaleM) Rafale in one go and end this circus and we will maintain our fleet too!!
As for now waiting period for rafale is already too much so local assembly line of rafale will help to sort out this issue and be can better negotiate for the tot and all!!

When Mk2 enter production we can procure them in large numbers too as earlier models of Tejas will be in their retirement period!! So it's a good deal for me!!

remember HAL only makes 60% of Tejas, remaining 40% comes from outside, they don’t have any control over delays in procurement of those component’s,
Euro fighter typhoon: cough cough!!

What you just stated is pure and applied incompetence. There are people doing PhDs on the subject of just in time manufacturing. As a matter of fact, you would be staring at an ultra bright future if you were an MBA specializing in Supply Chain Management and logistics.

Tbh we should give MRFA to a local private to foreign private company instead of giving it to hal and foreign private company that way hal won't have any excuse to say if they delay Tejas mk2 further and we will have a private firm with somewhat experience to manufacture fighter jet which can later help manufacturing Tejas,tedbf and amca

Finally, a truly sensible article laying the facts. I have said this time and again: We do not have the production capacities to simply replace MRFA with local jets, unless we are ready to have the IAF shrink to a critically low level in the late 2030s and early 2040s.

Add to that the fact that up-scaling a force is very difficult due to the fact that if you have more pilots than needed, you either lose the skill over time, or you keep training on what few aircraft you have, reducing their lifespan in turn.

MRFA will not be cheap, but it is a quantitative necessity. Those 6 squadrons might not sound like much, but they will play a critical role in bridging numbers.
Abdolutely you are telling the truth finally,
MRFA won’t be cheap,
MRFA won’t offer any offsets ,
MRFA won’t provide any TOT
MRFA won’t offer any local employment.
but GOI needs to spend $275Mln/jet and pay France 35-$40Bln for nothing.

The lead article is a pure pressure tactic to buy something not urgently needed. With limited supply of cash; it is not the expensive military hardware purchase which come first. Economic development comes first. That provides jobs and uplift the masses. That is more important.

The military purchases are to be done relative to our enemies.

Pakistan with its bankrupt economy and overspent military is at the point of breakdown with milk selling at Rupees 350.00 per litre. There is no hope for slogan shouting Pakistani masses other than asking for reduction in military expenditure. In-spite of all these economic commotions, Pakistan is relying on second rate military purchases from China to show off numbers. That is useless gesture as everybody knows that Chinese hardware spends more time in workshops than in the field.

As regards to China, they need tripe the number of military in Tibet and Sinkiang to invade Himalayas. They do not have anything like that. Their military is busy in Taiwan, Japan, Philippines, Vietnam to name a few. Moreover the Chinese military suffer a lot from hastily built hardware which breaks down more often. Case in point that Chinese trucks breakdown on roads more often in Himalayas as these are not built for toughness.

The Chinese will simply intimidate with propaganda but unable to do anything as is seen in Taiwan; they threatening for the last 50 years but done nothing to grab Taiwan. Moreover, Indian infrastructure in last ten years has reached a stage in Himalayas that reinforcements from nearby bases could reach the point of action in no time.

Hence, military expenditure has to be commensurate to the threat we face. Right now propaganda is the weapon which both military suppliers abroad and Chinese use to threaten us. India cannot be threatened that easily. Our military muscle is far bigger and stronger. Therefore ignore the propaganda unleashed by the lead article continue the course of $100 billion in three years (now is $80 billion) military expenditure. That will be sufficiently discourage our enemies.

Well total budget of the program is 9000 crores only and most of that is available after 2022 so I don't know how people can say wasted...

Well about MRFA I agree with Anant it is necessary for the IAF.
It just mine personal opinion is that we can procure 140-150(26/36 rafaleM) Rafale in one go and end this circus and we will maintain our fleet too!!
As for now waiting period for rafale is already too much so local assembly line of rafale will help to sort out this issue and be can better negotiate for the tot and all!!

When Mk2 enter production we can procure them in large numbers too as earlier models of Tejas will be in their retirement period!! So it's a good deal for me!!
Yes absolutely, agree with 10 other clones also, why not buy 500 Rafale’s and shut down HAL, DRDO and ADA.

India should scrap the Rafale tender immediately. We need to focus and find a quick and cost effective way to manufacture the Tejas MK1A jets so that we receive a good, steady, reliable and regular number of jets a year that are certified safe.

At the same time we need to quickly resolve the problems with Tejas MK2 as its first flight has been delayed by several years now. We need to learn how to develop this more advanced and technologically superior jet, its equipment and its essential parts and components. This jet is very different to the Tejas MK1A jet so a lot of the technology will be new but essential. We need to aim for its first flight by next year and it will take a long time to run the tests and trials.

At the same time we need to develop the TEDBF but it will take a longer time as we are developing a indigenous carrier jet which can tolerate the hard take off and hard crash landing which puts a huge strain on its undercarriage, air frames, technology, equipment and fuselage so we will need to carry out a lot of crash tests and simulations so we can provide the best type of body.

We also need to focus on the AMCA which is the main stealth jet and become the main backbone of our fighter jets. We now need to manufacture the prototypes as we have designed and developed the technology, materials and other important technologies and have its first flight in the next few years.

While we are developing our indigenous jets it will take more time than expected to manufacture them. So now we need to upgrade and implement the Super Sukhoi program along with a midlife upgrade which will enhance its lethality and combat capabilities which will keep the jet in service for at least another 20 years. We also need to upgrade the Mirage 2000 and Mig 29 which will improve its combat capabilities and technology as we need to keep these jets in service for the next 10 years.

If we want to increase our squadron strength then we can still buy some more second hand Mirage 2000 and Mig 29 jets that are in good condition and after upgrading them it can create another 2-4 squadrons depending on it’s condition, amount of jets and final price.

As our jets technology is old and we only have 2 squadrons of modern and lethal rafale jets there is a need and option to buy more rafale jets but they are very very expensive. A better and more affordable option would be to lease 2-4 more Rafale squadrons of the older versions but its technology will still be more advanced than the Sukhoi jets. We can lease the jets for around 10 years as it will take a long time to produce enough jets to increase our squadron numbers. This arrangement will be more affordable and practical.

Every armchair experts have suggestions regarding MRFA. What did you think? If this was so easy to go ahead and order Rafale under make in India, can't IAF or MoD announce Dassault as winner. There will be reprecussion for selecting Rafale, US will most likely approve Pakistani F-16 for block 70 upgrades(they already did it for Turkey). Other countries such as Germany(pitching Euro fighters) or Sweden(Saab) or even Russia will provide arms to Pakistan to irk India ,for example Russia will provide upgraded RD33 engines for JF-17. Its better to keep the MRFA tender in the hang and lure participants for investing in Indian defence sector. As they say leave the cooking job for the chef instead of using trying to command the kitchen from dining table.

Finally, a truly sensible article laying the facts. I have said this time and again: We do not have the production capacities to simply replace MRFA with local jets, unless we are ready to have the IAF shrink to a critically low level in the late 2030s and early 2040s.

Add to that the fact that up-scaling a force is very difficult due to the fact that if you have more pilots than needed, you either lose the skill over time, or you keep training on what few aircraft you have, reducing their lifespan in turn.

MRFA will not be cheap, but it is a quantitative necessity. Those 6 squadrons might not sound like much, but they will play a critical role in bridging numbers.
MRFA will make absolute sense if some OEM offers us a jet for $150-$175Mln, we can even buy 10 squadrons. I am open to any Aircraft that benefit India financially in the long term provide technical knowledge, local ecosystem and local employment.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible in anyway if my statement causes heartburn to Rafale Dalla’s and joy to like minded people in this forum.

Abdolutely you are telling the truth finally,
MRFA won’t be cheap,
MRFA won’t offer any offsets ,
MRFA won’t provide any TOT
MRFA won’t offer any local employment.
but GOI needs to spend $275Mln/jet and pay France 35-$40Bln for nothing.
MRFA won't be cheap. There may not be offsets. However, there will be some level of ToT, and if you go for local production (which shall be the case), you do generate local employment.

That said, I have never said we should go ahead with the Rafale. It has a starting advantage due to the fact that it won MMRCA and is already in service, but what I always say is that MRFA is a necessity, regardless of which aircraft gets it.

MRFA will make absolute sense if some OEM offers us a jet for $150-$175Mln, we can even buy 10 squadrons. I am open to any Aircraft that benefit India financially in the long term provide technical knowledge, local ecosystem and local employment.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible in anyway if my statement causes heartburn to Rafale Dalla’s and joy to like minded people in this forum.
Boss, if we could get the jets for 150-175 million USD each, nothing like it. However, unless we go for something like the Russian offerings, that price point simply isn't happening.

Now, there is no denying the Rafale is on the higher end of the price spectrum. However, just how much of a price difference we would get in ordering a Rafale against ordering a cheaper aircraft such as, say, the Gripen or the F-16V remains debatable for two reasons: An artificially higher initial payment for the 36 Rafales due to development of ISEs, and the fact that we don't have an American (or Swedish, for that matter) fighter ecosystem in place, which would increase costs.

As such, we would be looking at any potential contender costing atleast 200-225 million USD per unit.

Regardless, I have said on multiple occasions that I don't care about which aircraft gets selected. MRFA is a necessity for numbers.

I think we should get 36-54 more Rafales on G2G for IAF and crack the whip on ADA & HAL to accelerate the TejasMk2 & AMCA projects.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwalter01
Back