Opinion Can MRFA Program Rescue India's Fighter Jet Fleet from the Brink?

Multi-role-Fighter-Aircraft.jpg

The Indian Air Force (IAF) is facing a critical juncture as it grapples with the pressing need to modernize its aging fighter jet fleet. While ambitious indigenous programs like the TEDBF and AMCA hold promise, the immediate reality demands urgent action.

The Multi-Role Fighter Aircraft (MRFA) tender, aimed at acquiring 114 new jets, has become a symbol of this urgency, yet it has languished in bureaucratic delays for over a decade.

As Prime Minister Modi embarks on his third term, experts stress that the time for decisive action is now. This is not merely about buying new jets; it's about safeguarding India's skies and ensuring national security.

Streamlining the procurement process, prioritizing domestic manufacturing under "Make in India," and ensuring cost-efficiency and lifecycle support are key to resolving this issue. Additionally, the chosen jets must seamlessly integrate with existing IAF systems and be adaptable to future upgrades.

While indigenous programs like the TEDBF and AMCA represent India's long-term aspirations, the MRFA program serves as a critical bridge to maintain the IAF's operational readiness. Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), already engaged in multiple projects, cannot immediately meet the demand for new jets. The MRFA tender, with its focus on domestic manufacturing through private sector or Indian subsidiaries of foreign OEMs, offers a viable solution.

The government's focus on clearing the Acceptance of Necessity (AoN) for the MRFA program and allocating sufficient budgetary resources is crucial. Exploring alternative funding mechanisms like deferred payment plans or defense bonds can further mitigate financial constraints.

With geopolitical tensions on the rise, a robust and modern fighter fleet is not a luxury but a strategic necessity for India. The MRFA program, with its emphasis on swift procurement, domestic manufacturing, cost-efficiency, and technological integration, is the most practical way to address this urgent need.

By taking decisive action now, the government can not only bolster the IAF's capabilities but also lay the groundwork for a thriving domestic aerospace industry. The stakes are high, but the opportunity for transformation is equally significant.

Excellent article which outlines very important measures to be taken to hasten the MRFA procurement process. I share the same thoughts for a long time and I agree with the author the necessary steps to eliminate stumbling bureaucracy hurdles. The IAF has the necessary information on the types of aircrafts vying for the MRFA tender. Now they have to carry out trials on various platforms, evaluation and negotiations on pricing, make in India framework and level of collaboration with the manufacturer. In my assumption the tender should be wrapped up by end of 2025. The tender should go out in early 2026.

Yes absolutely, agree with 10 other clones also, why not buy 500 Rafale’s and shut down HAL, DRDO and ADA.
Have at least better understanding, so just explain me how you are going to maintain the forces when you don't have even jets to fly??
About hal company has already order book of 10+ years so you are saying we should wait for 10 years and after that we will think of something else?
DRDO just a miserable work culture if you suggest me it's better to shut it off then hopeful of doing any good
ADA takes too much time for just simply only work they have to do is come up with the best design!!
So what you are going to do with these companies?
If escalation is their we have to repeat it like 2019 balakot then what emergency procurement? Are you saying that we have to wait till next escalation and then emergency procurement will save these companies!!
I don't know in which fairy land you love but you can't run away from the realities!!
The truth is IAF's most of the fleet is having older aircraft and few of them already passed their service life if you know it and still trying to justify it I don't know what to say then!!

Well total budget of the program is 9000 crores only and most of that is available after 2022 so I don't know how people can say wasted...

Well about MRFA I agree with Anant it is necessary for the IAF.
It just mine personal opinion is that we can procure 140-150(26/36 rafaleM) Rafale in one go and end this circus and we will maintain our fleet too!!
As for now waiting period for rafale is already too much so local assembly line of rafale will help to sort out this issue and be can better negotiate for the tot and all!!

When Mk2 enter production we can procure them in large numbers too as earlier models of Tejas will be in their retirement period!! So it's a good deal for me!!
Well money was approved in 2012 as well, which is what was initially asked for.

And the most important thing is the HAL chief’s statement in 2021. I cannot accept that he was talking entirely in air and had no idea that funds ain’t available. He promised to deliver the jet in the next ~20 months, after saying that the jet will be delivered 36 months after the funds are approved. So the quantum of funds which was required, or at least what he thought will be sufficient, was available at that time. Even if it wasn’t sufficient, it was something, right? Something must have been manufactured with it, no? But in late 2022, HAP chief asked for 36 fresh months. That means that everything till then amounted to an absolute 0. If that is not money wasted I don’t know what is.

Excellent article which outlines very important measures to be taken to hasten the MRFA procurement process. I share the same thoughts for a long time and I agree with the author the necessary steps to eliminate stumbling bureaucracy hurdles. The IAF has the necessary information on the types of aircrafts vying for the MRFA tender. Now they have to carry out trials on various platforms, evaluation and negotiations on pricing, make in India framework and level of collaboration with the manufacturer. In my assumption the tender should be wrapped up by end of 2025. The tender should go out in early 2026.

India should scrap the Rafale tender immediately. We need to focus and find a quick and cost effective way to manufacture the Tejas MK1A jets so that we receive a good, steady, reliable and regular number of jets a year that are certified safe.

At the same time we need to quickly resolve the problems with Tejas MK2 as its first flight has been delayed by several years now. We need to learn how to develop this more advanced and technologically superior jet, its equipment and its essential parts and components. This jet is very different to the Tejas MK1A jet so a lot of the technology will be new but essential. We need to aim for its first flight by next year and it will take a long time to run the tests and trials.

At the same time we need to develop the TEDBF but it will take a longer time as we are developing a indigenous carrier jet which can tolerate the hard take off and hard crash landing which puts a huge strain on its undercarriage, air frames, technology, equipment and fuselage so we will need to carry out a lot of crash tests and simulations so we can provide the best type of body.

We also need to focus on the AMCA which is the main stealth jet and become the main backbone of our fighter jets. We now need to manufacture the prototypes as we have designed and developed the technology, materials and other important technologies and have its first flight in the next few years.

While we are developing our indigenous jets it will take more time than expected to manufacture them. So now we need to upgrade and implement the Super Sukhoi program along with a midlife upgrade which will enhance its lethality and combat capabilities which will keep the jet in service for at least another 20 years. We also need to upgrade the Mirage 2000 and Mig 29 which will improve its combat capabilities and technology as we need to keep these jets in service for the next 10 years.

If we want to increase our squadron strength then we can still buy some more second hand Mirage 2000 and Mig 29 jets that are in good condition and after upgrading them it can create another 2-4 squadrons depending on it’s condition, amount of jets and final price.

As our jets technology is old and we only have 2 squadrons of modern and lethal rafale jets there is a need and option to buy more rafale jets but they are very very expensive. A better and more affordable option would be to lease 2-4 more Rafale squadrons of the older versions but its technology will still be more advanced than the Sukhoi jets. We can lease the jets for around 10 years as it will take a long time to produce enough jets to increase our squadron numbers. This arrangement will be more affordable and practical.

I don’t think you will find too much support for your views expressed here. The world is reducing the number of fighters in their service with more agile and powerful fighters and here you are arguing cancelling of Rafale tender.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CutDalla
Back