India Eyes Advanced German Submarines: Focus on Stealth and Air-Independent Propulsion

India Eyes Advanced German Submarines: Focus on Stealth and Air-Independent Propulsion

An Indian Navy delegation is embarking on a visit to ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems (TKMS) facilities in Germany.

Their mission? A close inspection of the advanced U-212/214 submarines offered as part of India's ambitious Project-75I, a tender designed to significantly modernize the nation's underwater combat capabilities.

Project 75I: A Critical Investment​

Project-75I is a cornerstone of India's naval modernization plans. It aims to acquire six next-generation, conventionally powered submarines equipped with cutting-edge technologies.

These submarines are crucial for safeguarding India's vast maritime interests and maintaining strategic leverage in the Indian Ocean region.

The U-212/214 Advantage​

The German-designed U-212/214 class submarines stand out due to their unique design. Their 'one-and-a-half' hull configuration and non-magnetic steel pressure hull grant them exceptional stealth capabilities, making them challenging to detect.

However, the key advantage lies in their Air-Independent Propulsion (AIP) system. AIP technology allows submarines to operate submerged for extended periods without surfacing to recharge batteries. This significantly reduces vulnerability and dramatically expands the submarines' operational reach.

Partnership and Technology Transfer​

TKMS's bid for Project-75I includes a collaboration with India's Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL). This aligns with India's ambition to develop a robust indigenous shipbuilding industry through technology transfers.

If successful, this partnership could give India the knowledge and capabilities for future submarine construction and maintenance.

A Strategic Assessment​

The Indian Navy's inspection signifies a vital step in Project-75I. If the U-212/214 submarines impress, further negotiations could commence, potentially culminating in their acquisition.

The addition of these stealthy, long-endurance submarines would represent a major leap forward for India's maritime defense posture.

The Future of India's Underwater Strength​

The outcome of Project-75I will have far-reaching implications for the balance of power in the Indian Ocean.

The Indian Navy's expanding capabilities are essential to maintaining regional stability and protecting India's economic and strategic interests at sea.

Need just 1 trained guy to demonstrate, videos etc can do the rest
The government took so much time to make up its mind, there were none left when it was time to add two more sishumar class sub in late 1980s. The project was then nicley brushed away as closed due to financial woes.

PSU employees dont have the same incentive to LEARN or TRAIN as those in the Capitalist world have. So principles of spreading the knowledge doesn't often work the way it should.

The government took so much time to make up its mind, there were none left when it was time to add two more sishumar class sub in late 1980s. The project was then nicley brushed away as closed due to financial woes.

PSU employees dont have the same incentive to LEARN or TRAIN as those in the Capitalist world have. So principles of spreading the knowledge doesn't often work the way it should.
things have changed a lot since them. Today HAL or other DPSU factories and assembly lines are state of the art. They are paid pretty well as well.

Can India really trust the Germans? They are whimsical and unreliable when it comes to military and defense tech.

While Germany may be best in Subs tech, there are few issues, currently holding on Diesel shows lack of political will, lack of production capacity, incapability to meet timely demands. Also there partnership with MDL is not good for India in the long run, the capability acquired by MDL goes waste time and again due to Public sector nature. India needs to handover 75i to private sector, they can keep and use the tech to advance and develop future domestic capability. MDL can improve on the scorpene class and develop better version. For this same reason I would lean towards S-80 plus. Further, S-80 is a larger design already built and launced , not sure HDW has a working enlarged U-212/U-214, Indian version may just be a concept for now.

things have changed a lot since them. Today HAL or other DPSU factories and assembly lines are state of the art. They are paid pretty well as well.
It was never about salary. It was always about commitment and responsibility.

How many PSU employees do you know in the recent past who have had to lose their work on account of project failure or mismanagement?

It was never about salary. It was always about commitment and responsibility.

How many PSU employees do you know in the recent past who have had to lose their work on account of project failure or mismanagement?
what you are saying is true for private sector as well. Look in america, they have project failures all the time, yet it is the govt that loses money, they private companies just go on, I have never heard of layoffs, in american shipyards when the littoral combat ship project failed, or the zumwalt class destroyer contract got slashed.

Make up your mind: Germany and the Type 212/214 boats built at MDL or Spain and the S80 Plus boats built at L&T? Both TKMS and Navantia have already put contracts in place with the respective shipyards, and switches would be exceptionally difficult and time-consuming to bring about.
It is a no brainer at all.

MDL executed Scorpene contract atrociously poor way.
MDL has not learnt anything to localize by 6th Scorpene.
Now MDL are going to work on 3 more new Scopenes with Indian AIP.
MDL also remanufacture all 6 Scorpenes during mid life refit to install AIP.
So it already has too much work and too little to show up.

On the other hand, L&T helped India build 2 SSBNs Arihant and Arghat, and third one is on way soon and is named Arighamman.
During this time L&T built up mostly indigenous technologies or Russian technology to test and integrate to make them work.
So with 3 SSBNs under its belt, I think L&T will do good job with S-80 or HDW-212/214 submarines and sub assembly localizations.

But submarine tender processes are extremely complicated and anyone can drop out and make it a single vendor and mess up the whole process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudra99
Back