MICA Missile Upgrade: MBDA Reveals 'NG' Variant for Rafale & Mirage

MICA Missile Upgrade: MBDA Reveals 'NG' Variant for Rafale & Mirage

Missile heavyweight MBDA is upgrading a core weapon for Rafale and Mirage operators with the MICA NG (Next Generation). This advanced air-to-air missile is the direct successor to the widely used MICA system currently in service with the French Air Force and Navy.

The MICA, developed decades ago, is also a mainstay of the Indian Air Force (IAF) for its Rafale and Mirage 2000 fighter jets. The MICA NG boasts key advancements over its predecessor, including extended range from a new dual-pulse motor and enhanced resilience to enemy jamming with upgraded electronic countermeasures (ECM). A streamlined datalink with the launch aircraft promises faster updates and increased accuracy.

While the IAF leverages the MICA for some aircraft, the upgraded Jaguar fleet uses the MBDA ASRAAM (Advanced Short-Range Air-to-Air Missile) as part of its New Generation Close Combat Missile program.

The future brings the IAF's MWF-Tejas Mk2 fighter jet, expected to enter service around 2028-30. This indigenously-developed aircraft will likely feature a powerful UTTAM AESA radar, enabling a range of potential missile integrations:
  • Beyond Visual Range (BVR): India's Astra Mk1 and Mk2, MBDA's Meteor
  • Within Visual Range (WVR): MBDA's ASRAAM, potential for MICA NG
This diverse arsenal will ensure the IAF's MWF-Tejas Mk2 is well-prepared to dominate future aerial battles. The MICA NG, alongside other state-of-the-art weapon systems, will bolster India's overall air defense capabilities.

That was the biggest scam and loot done by France and hal to this nation.can't say anything but be cautious while dealing with France and their keyboard warriors.
What was the scam or loot? Didn’t they tell IAF what they are offering and for what price? Or did they just sign the deal on their own without our agreement and then sent us the bill? At least they didn’t send us some expired missiles.

What do you mean by ‘series’? Only 1 missile is in use.
I mean what I said. Planned ASTRA MK 1 , 2 , 3 variants . I am not talking about their operational status here. I am well aware about the current status.

ASARAAM/Python 5 should become our standard WVR rounds and we can assign the BVRAAM duties to Astra Mk 1/2/3 as and when they become available.

I mean what I said. Planned ASTRA MK 1 , 2 , 3 variants . I am not talking about their operational status here. I am well aware about the current status.
Your comment:

“ASTRA series are the best options for IAF.”

Are signifies present tense. That means something that is an option for IAF today. The missiles which are not operational are not an option. They are a pipe dream.

That was the biggest scam and loot done by France and hal to this nation.can't say anything but be cautious while dealing with France and their keyboard warriors.
Yes indeed.

Mirage-2000UPG without AESA radar can't go into a fight by itself as it can't see beyond about 120 kms or so. So it does not matter what BVRAAMs it will carry beyond this range, like Astra Mk II & III and Mica NG or Meteor.

On the other hand, if it gets intelligence from SU-30MKIs, Rafales, AWACs, etc about threats beyond it can see, then it can only fire blindly fire the long-range missile in the general direction of enemy asset.

That is my summary and clarifications.

Your comment:

“ASTRA series are the best options for IAF.”

Are signifies present tense. That means something that is an option for IAF today. The missiles which are not operational are not an option. They are a pipe dream.
Forget it. You have probably not understood what I was trying to convey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhimant Dungar
Back